Tuesday, January 3, 2012

I'm Dreaming of a Thai Christmas

Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a fabulous Holiday. I was lucky enough to get a week off for Winter vacation so I decided to hop a plane with my friend Sarah and headed for Thailand. I was really excited to see another part of Asia that I've always wanted to visit. 

While on the plane to Bangkok, I sat next to a guy who lived in Thailand for two years. His words of advice were drink as many buckets as you can, don't take your purse around monkeys because they'll steal your stuff, and if we spend more than 700 baht ($22) on a meal for the both of us, we're spending too much.




The first three days were spent in Ko Phi Phi. After three plane rides, taxi rides and a two hour ferry ride we finally made it. It was definitely worth the extensive traveling. We celebrated Christmas with a big party on the beach. It really didn't feel like Christmas since I wasn't around my family, but I met so many people that I never had the chance to feel homesick.


ferry ride


where we spent most of our nights


We stayed in a lovely bungalow looking over Phi Phi. 






Cant' forget about the buckets of booze.





On the last day in Phi Phi, Sarah and I decided to take a snorkeling trip to some of the surrounding islands. It was the best $16 I ever spent!


monkey beach


Maya Bay
(where the movie The Beach was filmed)




Lo Sama Bay

Later that evening we returned to Phi Phi for our last night out. It was such great ending to a few days in paradise. There is a bar on the island that holds Thai boxing. At this particular bar they ask for volunteers to fight each other for a free bucket of booze. While I was too much of a wimp to get my butt kicked, Sarah stepped up and entered the ring.




After a few days of soaking up some rays and relaxing on the beach we headed over to Phuket for a night. While there, we booked a trip for elephant trekking. Now if you don't already know this, I am in love with elephants and riding an elephant in Thailand has been on my to do list for quite sometime.







The next day we boarded another plane and headed over to Bangkok for the last leg of our vacation. It was a great way to end our last few days in Thailand and to ring in 2012. We were lucky enough to find a great deal on an amazing hotel right next to the Four Seasons. I can't even begin to tell you just how nice it was to see a bathtub and be able to dry my clothes in a dryer.  People might think I'm crazy but when you haven't seen these things in five months, you begin to forget just how nice they are.








As soon as we arrived in Bangkok we decided to hit the town and see as much as we could in the two days we had. Our first stop was the Grand Palace and the reclining Buddha. Pictures do not do these places justice.


grand palace




reclining Buddha






When visiting the palaces one must always wear proper dress. This includes no sleeveless shirts, shorts or sandals. Well silly me thought I could get away with bermuda shorts. I was certainly wrong! As I walked in I was hounded by the Thai police screaming, "No shorts, no shorts". After being scolded by the police man, I booked it the clothing rentals and got this lovely skirt, seen below, to wear around. I felt so Thai!


One night we decided to take it easy and booked a dinner cruise on the Chao Phraya River. The weather was perfect and the scenery was just breath taking. 




Our last day in Bangkok was New Year's Eve. Since we were in Thailand, we wanted to celebrate it in a different way than we usually do. Instead of the usual night club, we a went to Calypso Cabaret. Not only have I never been to a cabaret show, but this show was chalk full of Ladyboys. These ladies/men were something fierce!

 



I had the most amazing time in Thailand! I recommend anyone, who's able to travel, to at least make a stop here. The food is also fantastic! There is not one thing I ate that I didn't enjoy. I feel so blessed to have been given the opportunity to travel here! I never thought in a million years that I'd be spending Christmas on an island and ringing in the new year in Bangkok. Crazy!

Now it's back to reality. Luckily, I enjoy my reality! I hope everyone had a great holiday and cheers to 2012.

Love y'all!

-Jenn

P.S. - For anyone interested in checking out some videos I took, 












No comments:

Post a Comment