Monday, May 21, 2012

Lotus Lantern Festival and More

May is definitely a month of celebrating here in Korea. Parent's Day, Children's Day, Teacher's Day, and Buddha's Birthday are all celebrated this month. 

A few weeks ago, we celebrated Children's Day at ILS. During the month prior to this day, we handed out heart stickers to the students for good behavior. They in turn were able to exchange those hearts earned into ILS bucks. We set up a movie theater room, stationary shop, toy store, and a beauty salon. I was assigned to the beauty shop where I painted nails for days. It was the cutest thing! 



Amongst many of the holidays I've celebrated here in Korea, one of my favorite was Teacher's Day. Teacher's Day is celebrated on the 15th of May. I wasn't really expecting much from the day considering I feel that teachers in America aren't appreciated as much as they should be. As I walked into school at 9:50am last Tuesday, I was literally bombarded with gifts and smiles from meh babies. I received lots and lots of cookies, skin cream, candles, and flowers. I felt so appreciated!! 



That same evening my director had prepared a Teacher's Day BBQ. Us teachers set up chairs on our outdoor patio and cooked samgyeopsal. It was so tasty! 


Later that weekend, I attended Yeon Deung Hoe or Lotus Lantern Festival. This is a festival in honor of Buddha's Birthday which is on Monday. I first attended the Eoulim Madang (Buddhist Cheer Rally). This was really awesome to see! Imagine about 30,000 people in their traditional hanbok costumes, along with monks from all over the temples in Korea rallying together with laughter and dancing. There was even an old man who sat behind us who made sure we got off our rumps and danced. So much fun! 




After the rally we headed to get seats for the Lantern Parade. Lucky for us, we scored front row seats. Korea's pretty amazing when it comes to putting on events. When we arrived, there were chairs already lined up along the street for spectators. 

                                                             

The parade was so awesome! I wish you all were here to enjoy it with me. I saw thousands of lanterns that lit up the sky, monks for days, and many traditional Korean bands.






I must make a note about the generous hospitality I felt all day while I was celebrating Buddha's Birthday. At the beginning of the parade an older man greeted us and made sure that we had lanterns to light for the parade. Then, throughout the parade, those who could speak English would yell out, "Hello! Thank you for coming to Korea!" In addition, I was asked by several people that day to take pictures. I didn't really know why, but I loved. I felt like a celebrity! Korea definitely has got a way of making me feel welcome. I love you Korea!


Lucky for me and for Buddha being born on Monday, I get a three-day weekend. A much needed three-day weekend that is! I'm heading down to Namhae with some great girls that I KNOW will bring the fun. Also as a side note, I have booked a trip to Hong Kong in July for my summer vacation. I can't wait to experience more of Asia with Lauren! 

Miss you all! FOUR months!!!
 
-Jenn 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment