Thursday, September 29, 2011

Getting the Hang of this Teaching Thing

Before I begin, I must give a big shout out to all the teachers. I knew before coming to Korea that teachers put in a lot of hard work, but I didn't realize just how much. I feel that just within the last two months, I have gained so much more confidence and patience with myself and others. Not to mention a new love for kids :) I NEVER thought in a million years I'd be working with kids. When I first told my close friends and family that I was coming to Korea to teach kids, they immediately questioned me. But, when you have faces like these, how can you NOT love your job?


Chris and Edward

September was a pretty intense month for me. At the end of August, the Elementary students took their "Big Assessment" tests. This is a test given every two months to each class. It's a test on reading, comprehension and some grammar. Well this was my first time around giving this test. Luckily, I do not have to make the complete tests, but I do have to grade them. It's not a hard job, but it's very time consuming and sometimes comical. I remember one question from my student's test.
"Question: Scientists learn from their mistakes. What does that mean?
 Answer per my students: Scientists learn from their mistakes"


Not only was I introduced to the "Big Assessment" tests, but I also had to plan my first lesson plan for the month. Come to find out this wasn't all that difficult once I got the hang of it. I already have to make a weekly lesson plan for my kinder classes, so I already knew the gist of it.


While we're on the subject of my Elementary students, I will say they can be a bit of a handful at times. They like to goof around and talk in Korean at times. I only know a few words, like "fart". So I like to call them out for it when they say it. Silly kids think they can fool Jenn Teacher? I don't think so ;)

I feel the kids have adapted well to me for the most part. They know our routine and have gotten much better with listening. I'm extremely proud of my Elmo class! These are the 5 (Korean) / 4 (US) year olds. They're beginning to write and even sound out words. Sevin, the little girl we have coined the "badass" because she likes to bully the older kids, has always excelled in reading. But, Ethan and Isaac are coming along. Although, Isaac still thinks that "L-I-O-N" spells hamburger. Progress people, progress!!



Ethan has been voted my absolute favorite student. He showers me with hugs everyday and anytime I wear a colorful dress or scarf he says "Jenn Teacha bery bery prettyyy". He's already learning the art of brown nosing. What a smart, smart boy!


Ethan :)


At the end of October, each kinder class has to perform a song for a speech contest. This month I have Tweety class. I chose the song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". I already told my co-teachers the competition is on. Jenn Teacher and Tweety class will be bringing the best darn dance moves that ILS has ever seen! Not to mention I have Judy, aka "Judy wit da booty", in my class. That girl can get down! She was named this by co-teacher and it's stuck ever since. 


I know you're probably thinking, well her job doesn't sound too difficult. And to be honest, it has it's days. I mean how can you really complain about a job where you get to snuggle with the cutest 5-year olds, color, dance and help the world by teaching children the difference between "their", "they're", "your" and "you're?"

No comments:

Post a Comment